WordPress is the Web’s leading open source CMS for SME lead generating and informational websites. We’re confident to make that claim. Let’s start at the top and explain why…
Open Source Vs Proprietary CMS
Open source is king! From platforms such as Joomla, Drupal and WordPress through to the eCommerce players such as Magento, OpenCart and osCommerce, open source is undoubtedly the best choice for web development for the vast majority of business website requirements.
Why Use WordPress Over Another Open Source CMS?
WordPress the the world’s number one open source CMS, here’s a few reasons why.
- Been around for 10+ years, and actively developed by a worldwide community of developers.
- Has the largest developer community – around twice as many plugins than Drupal and Joomla.
- Is updated more often. Functionality continually improves and the codebase is kept up to date and secure against hacking attacks.
- Has the best SEO rating straight out of the box.
- Is the easiest and most cost effective to install and maintain.
- Simplicity of operation – stay in control of your content and your message with the easy to use interface.
But Isn’t WordPress Just a Blogging Platform?
No! This is one of the biggest myths perpetuated by some developers who are either out of the loop or have a vested interested in promoting another CMS. WordPress was originally designed as an easy to use blogging platform in 2003, but since the 3.0 release, it has quickly progressed to become a fully functional, powerful, yet simple-to-use CMS. It certainly can’t be claimed that WordPress is ‘simply a blogging platform’.
Some Big Name Brands Using WordPress
Yes, WordPress powers all of these sites. Wall Street Journal, Sony, Samsung, Ford Story and many, many more.
Some Things You Can Do With WordPress…
WordPress is capable of running large and complex websites, but its real sweet spot is providing cost effective, easy to maintain website for small to medium enterprises – straight OUT OF THE BOX! WordPress can be themed anyway you like – from simple but effective, low-cost templates right through to full, highly customised designs.
WordPress is also SEO optimised and due to its roots as a blogging platform, handles new feeds exceptionally well which is an essential requirement in today’s content driven world of digital marketing.
Through additional development/use of free or premium plugins, WordPress can cater for:
- Subscription based sites
- Larger product catalogue based sites
- smaller e-commerce websites (WooCommerce handles physical and digital content products)
We are champions of WordPress as it is the perfect option for SME website requirements.
An Award Winning CMS
WordPress is a winner! And not just figuratively speaking. WordPress has won several awards over the years including:
- Hall of Fame CMS category in the 2010 Open Source Awards – 2010
- Open Source Web App of the Year Award at The Critters – 2011
Why Choose WordPress Over Joomla or Drupal?
This infographic speaks for itself. While there is plenty of choice, for the vast majority of small to medium size business needs, WordPress is the smart choice.
Thanks and credit goes to Devious Media for the infographic.